This 100% online Radar Observer (Unlimited) course provides an in-depth study of the application of Radio Detection and Ranging (RADAR) equipment in regards to collision-avoidance and navigation at sea using vector solutions of vessel motion. There is also a special emphasis on RADAR performance limitations and adverse environmental effects on the system.
*Note: Northeast Maritime Online suggests taking the Upgrade OUPV to Master 100 Gross Tons Course as a prerequisite to this course. This course can be found in our Course Catalog. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Realistic and detailed RADAR simulation is used in this course to apply theory principles to practical exercises. The students develop both the mental and manual skills needed to safely use an RADAR in a real time marine environment. Students will then have to complete practical examinations via HALO° examination systems. Radar-Observer certificates are issued to students upon successful completion of this course.
Integrated with both the HALO° Radar Training Simulator and HALO° Exam Monitoring System, students can easily complete their practical assessments and take their exams online, eliminating the need to travel to an in-person center.
Please note that the HALO° Radar Training Simulator is only compatible with a Windows computer/laptop. Also note that certain functions of the radar simulator (i.e. ARPA) are disabled for this course.
The course satisfies the radar training requirements of 46 CFR 11.480(d) for an endorsement as Radar Observer (Unlimited) and the radar observer training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(ii), 11.317(a)(3)(vi), 11.319(a)(4)(ii), 11.321(a)(3)(vi).
The course also satisfies the radar standards of competence required by 46 CFR 11.309(a)(3), 11.317(a)(2), 11.319(a)(3), 11.321(a)(2); Sections A-II/1 and A-II/3 and Tables A-II/1 and A-II/3 of the STCW Code, as amended 2010, meeting the National Assessment Guidelines from: NVIC 12-14 and NVIC 02-18 Tasks: 1.4A, 1.4B, 3.1, 3.2A, 3.2B, 3.3A, 3.4 and NVIC 13-14 Tasks: 1.8A, 1.8B.
Upon completion of the online study materials, students will be able to complete their written exams online using our HALO° exam monitoring application and will complete their Radar Plotting Exam online by scheduling with one of our instructors remotely. Please contact the Registration Office at 508-992-4025 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for remote assessment scheduling information.
At the end of the course content, you will need to take 3 online exams:
- RADAR Theory: Passing Score 70% required
- RADAR Rules of the Road: Passing Score 90% required
- Radar: Final Plotting Exam (via Zoom Video Call using online simulations): Passing Score 70% required
You will receive 3 attempts for each exam. If you fail all 3 attempts of an exam, you must pay a retake fee of $25.00 for that exam.
*This course expects a student to spend 36-40 hours of reading material, problem solving and quizzes to be well prepared for the exam.
Required Textbooks (provided as resources in the online course):
- Navigational Rules and Regulations Handbook; United States Coast Guard (provided as a course resource)
- Radar and ARPA Manual; Bole, Wall, and Norris; Third edition
- Radar Renewal NMI Workbook (provided as a course resource)
Optional Navigation Tools:
*These tools are listed for anyone who would like to plot on paper by hand for additional practice along with the online tools.
- 1 Set of Dividers 6″ or 8″ (Example: Weems & Plath #176 Navigation Divider – Spare point, knob & lead should be provided)
- 2 Individual Triangles (Example: Weems & Plath #101 Protractor Triangle with Handle)
– OR –
- 1 Individual Triangle – AND – 1 of the following: Parallel Rules OR Roller Plotter (Example: Weems & Plath Marine Navigation Parallel Ruler OR Weems & Plath Marine Navigation Parallel Plotter)
- *Blank Radar Transfer Plotting Sheet (Example: Celestaire) *You will also have the option to print blank plotting sheet from the course as you go.
Price: $825.00 USD (eff. 10/01/2021)
Watch the video below to learn about the key features and capabilities of one of the simulators used in this course – the HALO° Transfer Plotter!