*On-site practical assessments are required per USCG approval guidelines.
The Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch Online Course is intended to provide the knowledge required for seafarers to perform as an RFPNW.
This course is delivered on NEMO°, our learning management system followed by the final examination being administered in our USCG approved HALO Examination software. You will receive 3 attempts for your exam. If you fail all 3 attempts, you must pay a retake fee of $50.00.
A one-day session is required to complete the practical demonstrations on our full-bridge TRANSAS simulator.
Topics include: Lookout, Helmsmanship, Watchkeeping, Pollution, Communication and Safety.
Co-requisites / Suggested Courses:
- Basic Safety Training Blended
Any applicant who has successfully completed your Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW) (NOREMI-408) course will satisfy:
- The training requirements of 46 CFR 12.605(a)(2)(ii); AND
- The standards of competence required by 46 CFR 12.605(a)(3); STCW Code Section A-II/4 and Table A-II/4, as amended 2010, meeting the National Assessment Guidelines from NVIC 06-14(Ch-4) Tasks 1.1.A, 1.1.B, 1.1.C, 1.2.A, 1.2.B, 1.2.C, 1.2.D, 1.2.E, 1.2.F, 1.2.G, 1.2.H, 1.2.I, 1.3.A, 1.3.B, 2.1.A, 2.1.B, 2.1.C, 3.1.A, 3.2.A, 3.3.A, 3.3.B, 3.4.A, 3.4.B, 3.5.A, 3.5.B, 3.6.A, and 3.6.B.
Applicants must present completed “Task Control Sheets” for these assessments in application for STCW certification as follows:
- All NVIC 06-14(Ch-4) assessment tasks completed ashore in Northeast Maritime Institute’s full mission bridge simulator as described in the course curriculum with an approved instructor signing the course assessment sheet; OR
- All assessment tasks completed according to guidelines in NVIC 06-14(Ch-4) by a Coast Guard-approved Qualified Assessor or, until December 31, 2023, by an assessor who meets the requirements specified in NVIC 19-14(Ch-3).
Applicants using this approval to apply for endorsement as RFPNW must also:
- Document at least 60 days of seagoing service as specified in 46 CFR 10.232(b) that involves experience associated with navigational watchkeeping functions and involves the performance of duties carried out under the direct supervision of a deck officer or qualified STCW deck rating; AND
- Present evidence of maintaining the standards of competence in Basic Training as specified in 46 CFR 12.602.
All practical assessments must be completed within one year of completing the online CBT in order to apply with the reduced sea service of 60 days as required by 46 CFR 12.605(a)(2)(ii). Otherwise, the applicant must show six months of seagoing service as required by 46 CFR 12.605(a)(2)(i).
PRICE: $450.00 USD (eff. 10/01/2021)