The Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch Online Course is intended to provide the knowledge required for seafarers to perform as a Watch Stander.
Topics include: Lookout, Helmsmanship, Watchkeeping, Pollution, Communication and Safety.
This online course is based on an 8 hour in-person course.
Internet access is required. The preferred web browser is Google Chrome, but you may use Edge or Safari if necessary.
Any applicant who has successfully completed your Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW) (NOREMI-408) course will satisfy:
- The training requirements of 46 CFR 12.605(a)(2)(ii); AND
- The standards of competence required by 46 CFR 12.605(a)(3); STCW Code Section A-II/4 and Table A-II/4, as amended 2010, meeting the National Assessment Guidelines from NVIC 06-14(Ch-4) Tasks 1.1.A, 1.1.B, 1.1.C, 1.2.A, 1.2.B, 1.2.C, 1.2.D, 1.2.E, 1.2.F, 1.2.G, 1.2.H, 1.2.I, 1.3.A, 1.3.B, 2.1.A, 2.1.B, 2.1.C, 3.1.A, 3.2.A, 3.3.A, 3.3.B, 3.4.A, 3.4.B, 3.5.A, 3.5.B, 3.6.A, and 3.6.B.
Applicants must present completed “Task Control Sheets” for these assessments in application for STCW certification as follows:
- All NVIC 06-14(Ch-4) assessment tasks completed ashore in Northeast Maritime Institute’s full mission bridge simulator as described in the course curriculum with an approved instructor signing the course assessment sheet; OR
- All assessment tasks completed according to guidelines in NVIC 06-14(Ch-4) by a Coast Guard-approved Qualified Assessor or, until December 31, 2023, by an assessor who meets the requirements specified in NVIC 19-14(Ch-3).
Applicants using this approval to apply for endorsement as RFPNW must also:
- Document at least 60 days of seagoing service as specified in 46 CFR 10.232(b) that involves experience associated with navigational watchkeeping functions and involves the performance of duties carried out under the direct supervision of a deck officer or qualified STCW deck rating; AND
- Present evidence of maintaining the standards of competence in Basic Training as specified in 46 CFR 12.602.
All practical assessments must be completed within one year of completing the online CBT in order to apply with the reduced sea service of 60 days as required by 46 CFR 12.605(a)(2)(ii). Otherwise, the applicant must show six months of seagoing service as required by 46 CFR 12.605(a)(2)(i).
This online course meets the requirements of Table II/4 of the STCW Code, Specification of Minimum Standard of Competence for Ratings Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW). The online course covers watchkeeping, pollution prevention, lookout procedures and helmsmanship.
The course will also satisfy 4 of the 6 months minimum sea-time requirements for certification as a Rating Forming Part of a Navigation Watch.
This course consists of one written exam: Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW). The exam contains 20 questions and requires a 70% passing score. The written exam can be taken online through HALO° Exams. You will receive 3 attempts for your exam. If you fail all 3 attempts, you must pay a retake fee of $50.00.
- U.S. Licenses
A one-day session is required to complete the practical demonstrations on our full-bridge TRANSAS simulator. On-site practical assessments are required per USCG approval guidelines. For scheduling at Northeast Maritime Institute, please contact our Registration Office at 508-992-4025 or at [email protected]. For scheduling at an approved NEMO° Partner Facility location, please contact them using the contact details on our Partners Page.
- International Licenses
Required assessments may be completed in-person at Northeast Maritime Institute, or by using the NEMO° approved Training Record Book. If using the NEMO° approved Training Record Book, the assessments supplied in the course must be completed and signed off by an STCW licensed Master/Mate onboard a vessel of 500 Gross Tons or more. If not already provided in the course, please contact the Dominica Maritime Administration by email: [email protected].
Assessment Facility Locations
In-person assessments for this course can be completed at the following locations:
- Northeast Maritime Institute: Fairhaven, Massachusetts, USA
- AVTEC: Seward, Alaska, USA
*In-person assessments carried out at Northeast Maritime Institute will not incur an additional fee. In-person assessments carried out at an approved NEMO° Partner Facility location may require an additional assessment fee.
*If you are planning on completing your in-person assessment at an approved NEMO° Partner Facility location, please contact them to find out more information. Visit our Partners Page for more details about NEMO°’s approved assessment facility locations.