Realistic and detailed RADAR and ARPA simulation is used in this course to apply theory principles to practical exercises. The students develop both the mental and manual skills needed to safely use an ARPA equipped RADAR in a real time marine environment. Students will then have to complete practical examinations via HALO° examination systems. Radar-Observer certificates are issued to students upon successful completion of this course.
*These textbooks are provided as resources in your course.
- Navigational Rules and Regulations Handbook; United States Coast Guard (provided as a course resource)
- Radar and ARPA Manual; Bole, Wall, and Norris; Third edition
- Radar Renewal NMI Workbook (provided as a course resource)
Optional Navigation Tools
*These tools are listed for anyone who would like to plot on paper by hand for additional practice along with the online tools.
- Leaded Compass 6″ or 8″
- Dividers 6 or 8″
- 2 Triangles
- One of the following: Parallel Rules OR Weems Roller Plotter
- Blank Radar Transfer Plotting Sheets
*This course expects a student to spend 36-40 hours of reading material, problem solving and quizzes to be well prepared for the exam.
This course must be completed on a Windows computer. Internet access is required. The preferred web browser is Google Chrome, but you may use Edge or Safari if necessary.
It is suggested that you take the Upgrade OUPV to Master 100 Gross Tons course as a prerequisite to this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- To successfully complete this course, students must complete the course and achieve a minimum 80% on the written examination, with a maximum number of 3 attempts. Students must also successfully complete the required practical assessments built into the online course.
- The final exam will be delivered and proctored through NMI’s HALO Exam Monitoring application and requires the user to have a computer with a web camera. You will receive 3 attempts for your exam. If you fail all 3 attempts, you must pay a retake fee of $50.00.
The online course is based upon the 32 hour IMO Model Course and trainees are expected to contribute a comparable effort in the online course.
This course consists of two written exams: RADAR Theory and RADAR Rules of the Road.
- RADAR Theory: Passing Score 70% required
- RADAR Rules of the Road: Passing Score 90% required
Your exams will be completed using HALO° Exams. You will receive 3 attempts for each exam. If you fail all 3 attempts of an exam, you will be required to re-take a portion or all of the course. A re-take fee of $25.00 per exam will cover the cost of re-enrollment and additional exam attempts.
This course requires a video call with an instructor to satisfy assessment requirements. For scheduling information, please contact our Registration Office: 508-992-4025 / EMAIL NMI