Topics Include: Communication, Teamworking, Resource Management, Crew Management and Leadership.
On completion of the course the learner/trainee should be able to demonstrate sufficient understanding and knowledge of leadership and managerial skills and have the relevant skills to competently carry out the duties of officer in charge of a navigational watch on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more, or officer in charge of an engineering watch in a manned engine-room or designated duty engineer in a periodically unmanned engine-room. The knowledge, understanding and proficiency should include, but not be limited to, those listed in Column 2 of table A-II/2 and table A-III/1:
- Working knowledge of shipboard personnel management and training.
- A knowledge of related international maritime conventions and recommendations, and national legislation.
- Ability to apply task and workload management.
- Knowledge and ability to apply effective resource management.
- Knowledge and ability to apply decision-making techniques.
This online course is based on a 40 hour in-person course.
Internet access is required. The preferred web browser is Google Chrome, but you may use Edge or Safari if necessary.
Any applicant who has successfully completed your Leadership and Managerial Skills (Blended) (NOREMI-827) course will satisfy:
- The Leadership and Teamworking Skills within 46 CFR 11.309; 46 CFR 11.319; 46 CFR 11.321; AND
- The specific tasks from the National Assessment Guidelines found in NVIC 12-14(Ch-2) (Tasks 18.1.A-18.5.A), for an endorsement as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch; AND
- The Leadership and Teamworking Skills within 46 CFR 11.329; AND, the specific tasks from the National Assessment Guidelines found in NVIC 17-14(Ch-2) (Tasks 16.1.A-16.4.A), for an endorsement as Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch; AND
- The Leadership and Managerial Skills within 46 CFR 11.305; 11.307; 11.311; 11.313; 11.315; 11.317; 11.325; 11.327; 11.331; 11.333; AND, the specific tasks found in NVIC 10-14(Ch-2) (Tasks 18.1, 18.2), NVIC 11-14(Ch-2) (Tasks 18.1, 18.2); NVIC 15-14 (Tasks 7.1.D, 11.1.A, 14.1.A); and NVIC 16-14 (Task 14.1.A).
Applicants who have successfully completed this course need not present completed Task Control Sheets for these assessments in application for STCW certification.
This course satisfies the requirements of Tables A-II/2 and A-III/2 of the STCW Code for Leadership, as amended. This course is intended to provide a person with the knowledge, skill and understanding of leadership and managerial on board a ship.
This course consists of one written exam – Leadership and Managerial. The exam contains 14 questions and requires a 70% passing score. The written exam can be taken online through HALO° Exams. You will receive 3 attempts for your exam. If you fail all 3 attempts, you must pay a retake fee of $50.00.