The Oceans Navigation/Celestial Navigation 500/1600 GRT Blended Course covers all subject matter content required for an Oceans Endorsement.
This course is delivered on NEMO°, our learning management system followed by the final examination being administered in our USCG approved HALO Examination software. You will receive 3 attempts for both required exams: Navigation General and Navigation Problems. If you fail all 3 attempts of either exam, you must pay a retake fee of $25.00 for that exam.
Assessments can be completed remotely: Assessor must hold a Master 500/1600 or above with an Oceans Endorsement and must provide name and mariner reference number on all assessment pages.
Any applicant who has successfully completed your Oceans Navigation / Celestial Navigation (500/1600 Tons) (Blended) (NOREMI-968) course will satisfy the professional examination requirements for increasing the scope of the following endorsements from near coastal to oceans:
- Second or Third Mate of self-propelled vessels of unlimited tonnage from near coastal to oceans; AND
- Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 500 or 1600 GRT; AND
- Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 200 GRT; AND
- Master or Mate of Uninspected Fishing Industry Vessels from near coastal to oceans,
- The Celestial Navigation training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4) (viii) for an STCW endorsement as OICNW on vessels of 500 GT; AND
- The celestial navigation assessments 1.1.A; 1.1.B; 1.1.C; 1.1.D; 1.1.E; and 1.1.F from NVICs 02-18 and 12-14(Ch-3), Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch.”
A relevant math review section is included at the beginning of the course, covering topics and useful formulas. Our USCG approval includes the Navigation General practical exam, for which not all content is covered in this course. For your benefit, we have included access to practice Navigation General quizzes which pull from the USCG database of questions.
*Provided materials mailed to students must be returned at end of course (postage will be included)*
- Nautical Almanac, Sight Reduction Tables, Gnomonic Chart, Universal Plotting Sheets, Light list and Tide Table excerpts.
- Calculator, Pencils, Erasers, Plotting triangles (2)
- Dutton’s Nautical Navigation, 15th Edition (978-1557502483) Recommended.
- American Practical Navigator, Bowditch, 1981 (ASIN: B017DLYMJI)
- Star Finder circular slide rule (many available on Amazon)
PRICE: $1,600.00 USD